Afternoon Tea The Fruity Cook: Fancy

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fancy

The cross-cultural references from Europe to other
continents has taken my attention.

Yesterday I made Maids of Honour. As far as I
know, these are ladies in waiting in some cultures,
but in my neck of the woods they are a delicious
fancy cake made with pastry, raspberry jam and
a light sponge and almond topping.

It must be forty years since I last attempted
these time-consuming but rewarding delicacies.
In the 'Sixties people had nothing much else to
do in the house apart from baking, so having
friends round for
Afternoon Tea
was a full-time occupation.

I did not get to photograph the
wonderful cakes that emerged from the
oven.

They were eaten up with great enthusiasm
before the camera could be set up.

1 comment:

Caroline@Bibliocook said...

Things getting eaten before you get to take a photo is always a good sign of the baking!