Afternoon Tea The Fruity Cook: The Return of the Spartans

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Return of the Spartans

There are so many entertaining interchanges in Cyberspace
these days. The comment by Davimack about my posting style has set me
laughing. It has also given me something other than
bread dough to blog about.

Spartan? It's probably, given all the tasks facing
me this week, verging on the peremptory.

Dictionary.com gives four options for this word, and my favourite is the second.

...Not allowying contradiction or refusal... final.

Once Autumn comes, I'll certainly apply myself to writing a bit more.
The six years spent as a freelance journalist taught that brevity is
not only the soul of wit. It was the only way to get editorial attention,
as prolix just does not cut it when it comes to copy.

I don't know how other people settle into making a blog post.
Speed is probably my main consideration, as this activity is
fitted in between baking, gardening and giving as much attention
as possible to family and friends.

Certainly have something to think about...

2 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

Hmm... perhaps the OED missed something:

peremptory
n adjective
1 insisting on immediate attention or obedience; brusque and imperious.
2 Law not open to appeal or challenge; final.

DERIVATIVES
peremptorily adverb
peremptoriness noun

ORIGIN
Middle English: via Anglo-Norman French from Latin peremptorius 'deadly, decisive', from perempt-, perimere 'destroy, cut off'.


It is the 'Concise' OED, though, but I'm too lazy to go downstairs & drag out the 'Condensed' & its magnifying glass right now, to see what it might say.

The Fruity Cook said...

Shall have to study this in more depth. I like "peremptoire" very much. It seems to cover everything.

Glad to find another dictionary fan.